The Settlement Service Program (SSP) provides support and settlement assistance to refugees, humanitarian entrants and newly arrived migrants living in Sutherland Shire. Its aim is to improve access to services, develop self reliance and to promote participation in Australian society.
We provide one-on-one casework, support and information relating to housing, education, employment and training, Centrelink, health, family and community services to individuals, families and young people. Our programs include settlement English classes, parents groups, a homework support program, Drivetime program and recreational activities. We also undertake community development activities which include the implementation of projects that aim to support and empower newly emerging community groups.
The program is funded by the Government Department of Social Services (DSS) under the Settlement Service funding program. It is delivered under the NSW Settlement Partnership (NSP) with Settlement Services International (SSI).
Other projects include:
- Refugee Challenge – Restoring Hope project
- DriveTime Program
- Southern Sydney Refugee Support Group
- Chinese Life Stories of Sutherland Shire
- Activities celebrating Harmony Day, Refugee Week, Diwali and Chinese New Year.
- Multicultural resources as part of the Everyone Comes From Somewhere Project.
- Annual youth leadership camp, sports brokerage and school holiday program for young people from migrant and refugee backgrounds.
- Employment skills workshops and forums for migrant and refugee job seekers.
For further information, please contact Jenny Grey, Settlement and Multicultural Services on 9524 9559, email@example.com . Alternatively, look under the EVENTS tab to see what’s on and where for this month.